Surface Pattern Design

Surface Pattern Design

Flora
40 in. x 33 in.
Digital Design Printed on Cotton
Hand Sewn Beads

Flora
Close-Up Details

Artist Statement

    This wall hanging entitled Flora was inspired by William Morris' wallpaper designs. My intent was to visually communicate an interaction between botanical elements. 

    I wanted to focus on the interaction of elements, digitally sketching many variations of how my design pieces would sit next to each other in a repeated pattern. Once I had finalized a pattern and it was printed on cotton fabric, I felt that it was lacking in detail. I decided to include circular gold beads for added detail--these beads fit perfectly within the center circle of one design element that is repeated throughout the pattern, so I hand-sewed each bead to the circle. 

    I would like to keep exploring patterns because using spoonflower, I saw many different options for where my patterns could go and I would like to create a more detailed pattern design. With this project, I was able to explore my digital design skills by tracing my pencil sketches on Adobe Illustrator.


 Research

William Morris:







Physical Sketches and Digital Drafts


In-Process picture












Comments

Popular Posts